Pages

Thursday 31 May 2012

Alexander McQueen Spray Paint Dress (1999)

For me, as an aspiring designer, Alexander McQueen's innovation and creative instincts are one of my main sources of inspiration. His Spring/Summer 1999 Catwalk show was my favourite ever as the Spray Painted Dress finale is the most classically beautiful, yet forward-looking, piece of art I think I've ever seen. The balletic movements and the classical piano music created an atmosphere of serenity and classicism which was contrasted with the forward-looking technological aspects to create a masterpiece. The overall aesthetic of the finale was stunning and it produced a dress which is a piece of art in itself. Even 13 years on, I don't think any other catwalk shows, either of McQueen's or of any other designer's, have come close to the beauty and drama created in the finale of this show and it should be remembered as a defining moment in fashion history.

No comments:

Post a Comment